Thursday, August 18, 2011

Clearing the secret path

That looks like a nice piece of dried leaf that needs moisturizing.

My days have been pretty busy lately; it was a mix bag of things -- Kit is sick, again (!); work, work, and more work; chauffeuring boys from some place to another; arranging playdates; visiting museums; shopping.... Some tiles also fell off the kitchen wall in the middle of the night. I thought it was the cats up to no good again until I saw one of them, wide-eyed, bushy-tailed with fur all poofed up and staring at the tiles on the floor.

Right.

I was tricked by the noon weather today. There were clouds in the sky, covering the glaring noon sun and I didn't imagine it, there was a nice cool breeze too. It's a perfect day for Kit to walk home from school via our secret path. Then just as I managed to haul him off the school slide, the sun came out with a vengeance and the heat was soon beating down our back.

Why don't I do a good deed and give it all the moisture it needs...

But little boys really don't care for things like harmful UV rays, skin cancer, and dehydration. So trivial. It's more important to clear the path of all dried leaves by throwing them into the drain, and say "丢"! (throw in mandarin) for each leaf that drops.

...so there you go, into the drain. Drink up!

We took 30 minutes to get home as a result! Mind you, the journey home via the secret path only takes about 10 minutes. And maybe my 22.5mo was so excited by our little excursion that he simply REFUSED to take his nap thereafter; he was quite a handful by evening. Urgh. Despite the discomfort from the heat and perspiration, I can't help smiling to myself this afternoon. All it took were some dried leaves to keep him entertained for half an hour. Ahh, the simple pleasures of childhood.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...