Thursday, September 11, 2008

My take on blogging... back in 2002 (!)

The truth is... I started my first blog back in 2002. Joy would remember it; she gave me my first comment. I only wrote one entry. But I'd like to think of myself as a blog-pioneer still.

ROTFL

I googled myself+blog, and finally found the story I wrote on blogging when the movement first start. (I think) LexisNexis picked up my story, a blogger published it in 2003, and CMP 'died' after that (RIP. I love you.).

Here it is for your reading pleasure and for my vanity's sake. I don't think the full story is here; I remembered writing more than 429 words!

# # #

(http://blog.schee.info/2003/01/29/the-future-revealed-blogging/)
LexisNexis™ Academic
Copyright 2002 Financial Times InformationAll rights reservedGlobal News Wire - Asia Africa Intelligence Wire
Intelligent Enterprise Asia
December 1, 2002
LENGTH: 429 words

HEADLINE: THE FUTURE REVEALED: BLOGGING
BYLINE: Leong Khay Mun

Imagine if everyone in your office kept a diary about the lessons they learned everyday while managing an e-business project, or the things to avoid when building a customer contact centre.
Now, imagine that their diaries are placed online and made available to everyone in the office, and this knowledge pool grows.

Web logs, or blogs, is such a Web-based platform that will allow your office to do just that. Blogs are different from online bulletin boards and chat rooms, which are group-oriented; they are personal in nature, featuring a single person’s point of view. Blogs have been hailed in the US as the next big knowledge management (KM) tool that will enhance knowledge dissemination in the corporate world, because they are easy to set up, use, and maintain. And many sites allow people to blog for free.

But KM solutions providers are less than enthusiastic about encouraging corporations to use blogging for their KM initiative. They say that not only is the concept over hyped, there are also downsides to the platform itself.

“I marvel the IT industry for justifying things that we (KM vendors) have been doing for a long time with discussion databases. For us, blogs are just another way to deliver knowledge sharing capabilities to the workplace,” said Al Zollar, general manager of IBM Lotus Software , which recently enhanced its workplace collaboration products in October.

Microsoft’s David Foo, product marketing manager (Enterprise Servers), agreed. He emphasised that the first thing to be clear about is that blogs do not equal KM. “Like instant messengers or e-mail, blogs are a basic communications tool that can be part of a KM strategy.”

But public blogs are, by nature, not secure, either in terms of access or data storage, he cautioned. They are also a one-way tool, even though they can hyperlink to other information, whereas KM depends on a two-way or group oriented communication. Effective KM goes beyond basic communication, into collaboration and organisation of different kinds and sources of information.

The fact that management will not be able to control the content that goes onto these personal online diaries makes it a dicey communication tool: The rantings of a frustrated employee can reach a wide audience as quickly as useful knowledge will.

Said Simon Phipps, chief technology evangelist with Sun Microsystems , who is an avid blogger: “The mindset behind the blogging movement is really autarchical… that is why blogging is more of a grassroots movement, not a corporate phenomenal.”

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...