Monday, October 16, 2006

I've got De Quervain's tenosynovitis!

I'm a francophile with a French-sounding problem -- De Quervain's tenosynovitis!

Check out the definition and explanation given on MedicineNet.com (http://www.medicinenet.com/de_quervains_tenosynovitis/article.htm): "DeQuervain's tenosynovitis is (the) inflammation of the tendon on the side of the wrist at the base of the thumb.

"Typical causes include stresses such as lifting young children into car seats."

!!!

I've had pain in that area on both hands ever since Kai came along. I attributed it to the fact that I had to keep lifting him out of his bed, in and out of the car seat etc. It just got worse recently, with a pain in my left wrist everytime I flex it. It's a common problem among care givers, I think. Just yesterday, I met a grandmother of two six-month-old twins at the swimming pool and she complained of pain in her wrist from lifting her grand-daughters. She had her left wrist bandaged.

Terence asked me to change the way I carry Kai and take barley grass tablets. Barley grass? He swore that it cured his trigger fingers. For a doctor who never once recommended "alternative treatments" to his patients (or to his wife, at least), barley grass must be very effective since the traditional method of cortisone injection didn't help him at all.

AND, he doesn't think I'll have problems rock climbing. Hurray! But when are we ever going to find time and now that the other half of our climbing gang is in Australia, who are we going to go with. I can't belay him!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...