Friday, August 15, 2014

Growing up with an 8yo boy


Dear Kai,

It took me a while to pen this annual birthday post to you. It's not because I am lost for words; I've so much to say to you. Your daddy said something today that summed it all up. He said that you have to fight your own battles; I can't be fighting them for you.

That's what scares me. If I can, I'll be fighting all your battles but that'd make you an unhappy person when you grow up.

You've been asking if I still love you; who do I love more. Because I haven't been patient, because I want you to be the best that you can be. I have space in my heart for both you and your brother. Don't ever doubt that.

I've seen you grow so much over the past year. You pushed your own boundaries. You learned to ride a two-wheel bike. You scrambled up every rock possible in Yosemite whenever possible when in the past you would be afraid. You tried sand boarding in North Stradebroke Island and conquered the slopes. You snorkelled in Redang and took part in a fin swimming competition. Everytime you came home crying from school, you have no idea how broken I was inside although I had to keep a calm face in front of you.

Like you, I am growing up with you as your mother. Thank you for the opportunity. I love being your mother.

Happy 8yo birthday, my first born.

Love, mum

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...