Monday, November 26, 2012

The mundane, the beautiful: Manhole cover art in Japan

There is beauty everywhere you go in Japan. I was telling my friends that I marvel at how the Japanese make everyday mundane things beautiful, and manhole cover art is one of them. Nobody would think of decorating manhole covers so imagine my surprise when, one day in Osaka, I looked down and saw a very pretty manhole (manhoru) cover.

Manhole cover art in Osaka
There are reportedly over 6,000 (!) cover artworks in Japan, which is why spotting them and photographing them has become a hobby for many. (This created what people call the manhoru mania.) I wasn't particularly looking out for them but I found myself looking at manholes quite frequently in Japan.

Arashiyama, Kyoto
Harajuku, Tokyo

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...